Thursday, December 3, 2009

Just Random Stuff on The Brain

So what should I talk about now? Hmmmm. So on my last post, I discussed the homosexual and cultural issues. I think I'll jump back on it for a second and then elaborate on something else. So like I said previously, the Koreans are touchy feely with each other, as guys hold each other's hand, massage each other. Same with the girls too. I've also noticed that some of the guys wear makeup. Again in my country, America, we'd call that GAY. However, some things is just culture differences that's all. Though quite odd and disturbing it may be to witness, it is what it is, or things are always what they seem.

Now lets me discuss cross cultural communication and relationships. Korea is an extremely forceful society. They expect for you (a foreigner) to eat and drink what, when, and how they eat and drink. They expect for you to agree with them concerning their issues, principles, values, and ideologies. Yet if you don't, then they think you don't like their culture. They are very pushy and will rush you when they want you to do something for them; however, they are slow in terms of doing things for you. There are quite a few Koreans that under cultural differences; however, not the masses. Alongside their ideologies comes their stereotypes that what they see on television is how a culture or people outside of Korea is as a whole. They even gain their stereotypes and prejudice mentality from individual relationships, or stories that've heard along the way; whether those situations are true or false. So yeah, that's Korea.

Another thing about Koreana is that they can so rude to each other. So take rude, stereotypical, confused, cross culturally deprived, prejudice and put it in one small box, and you come up with Koreans. I know my Korean friends are going to be pissed off at me for saying this but hell, why not say it? Those friends are the ones that are the exception within the culture. But for the masses, it's a backwards society. It's a society that things "white is right" and if you black, you're poor. If you're a black man who rock the latest fashion then you're a hip hop star or a gang banger. If you're a "hip" Korean that knows a little bit of English, then you can walk around and say "what's up my nigga?" Oh yeah. This Korean chick I knew walked up to me and did that, and I had to check her. She got sad and I had to explain to her why it's not ok to use that terminology when approaching someone; whether black, white, mixed, etc.

I could go on and on about what I see; however, I'll save more for later. I'm going to bed, for it's 2:54AM Friday morning and I have work in in about 5 hrs.

WORD!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Rodney,

    I'm a first-time visitor to your blog. Randomly found it through Google while looking up sites discussing Korean culture. And man, am I glad I did! It's refreshing to read about Korean culture from a Black-American's point of view.

    Being an Asian-America, I ashamed that many Asian ccultures have not gotten beyond these ill-perceived images of blacks. I remember in high school, hearing my stepmother berate my stepbrother for bringing one of his black friends over to our house. I remember wondering why Asians still have this belief of "black is bad", especially the older-generation. I am hoping that as our world becomes smaller and more globalized, the younger generation in Asian countries will change this way of thinking.

    Anyway, looking forward to more posts from you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete